Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Making Someone's Day at Harper's Ferry

We drove to Harper's Ferry yesterday. It was a perfect day to be there: there was hardly anyone else visiting, so we had peace, quiet and privacy, all precious commodities. It was a bit too cold for my taste when we first arrived, but after our picnic lunch we went for a walk alongside the river to warm up, then climbed the short but steep hill up to Jefferson's Rock, where we sat quietly in the sun for quite a while. In spite of the noise from the traffic on the busy highway just over the Shenandoah River, it was very peaceful up there.

The historic part of the town was of course very picturesque, and when the sun came out, its light on the few trees which still had gold coloured leaves was beautiful. The only shop we went into was a bookshop, where I think I made the young girl clerk's day by being from Australia. However, when she realised I wasn't a local she said to S, "Oh, is she not from here?" (Even though I'd been speaking in English about the coins I was trying to sort out to pay for my purchase).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home