Friday, October 22, 2004

The Metro

I made an abortive attempt to visit the National Air and Space Museum today. When I got to the Metro I found there were major delays. The train that was at the station when I got there was so crowded that people were almost hanging out the doors, and many more people were waiting on the platform. The next train was slightly less crowded, so I got onto it thinking I would have to stand up, but a very nice younger man gave me his seat. (He got off a couple of stations later so I didn't feel guilty about him standing for that short distance). After sitting at the station for several minutes, I had almost decided to get off, when we left. Meanwhile there had been an announcement that after the 3rd stop down the line, we could expect delays of up to 10 minutes at each station, which would have meant an approximately 25 minute trip would take probably an hour and a half. If I'd had a book with me, I might have just sat it out; after all, it was still only just after 10 am and I had all day, but I very shortsightedly didn't think to put a book in my bag, so I decided I couldn't be bothered with all the waiting around, and got off and came home again. I feel rather frustrated by my inability to work around the situation because of my lack of local knowledge. In my home city, I'd probably have managed to find a local bus to get me downtown, but here I didn't feel confident enough to try. I'm also conscious of being hampered by the fact that I'm not quite game enough to drive anywhere, even though there is a car at my disposal. Probably in an emergency I could do it, but not otherwise. Anyway, I'll definitely have to get to the Air and Space Museum another time, because it looks really interesting.

On the train I picked up a copy of the Express which somebody had left on the seat, in which I read an interesting advertisement headed "Tim for President". His major ideas seem to be: a. Eliminate all weapons of every kind fromt he world; b. Bring home all the troops so they can concentrate on protecting the US from terrorists and illegal aliens who are taking jobs from US citizens; c. A flat tax for everyone; d. A nationally sponsored health care system for everyone; e. Public servants, including Congressmen, should work for the America because they want to serve their country; f. All individuals will be judged by God when the time comes so there is no need for man to judge them here on earth; g. It must be up to the individual to decide if taking any drug is advantageous to their well being. The only drugs that must be forbidden are those that cause birth defects. I wonder if he'll get any votes. Actually, I don't know enough about how things work here to know if this is genuine or just a joke of some kind. I know nobody in Australia could try to become Prime Minister without first becoming the leader of a political party, then if that party got elected he (or she) would automatically be Prime Minister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home